Top ten home improvements of 2017?

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2017

Bathrooms, kitchens and new central heating systems top the list of improvements for this year, but homeowners are warned that major works could invalidate their home insurance.

A new study from GoCompare Home Insurance has revealed that a new bathroom is the UK’s most popular home renovation with 39% of homeowners who carried out a major home improvement in the last five years splashing out on one. New kitchens came in second place with 38% and a new boiler or central heating system made up the top three with 34%.

Top 10 home improvements carried out in the last 5 years

1              Installed a new bathroom 39%

2              Fitted a new kitchen 38%

3              Installed a new boiler or central heating system 34%

4              A garden make-over 26%

5              Installed double glazing 26%

6              Built an extension 17%

7              Knocked through rooms 12%

8              Fitted solar panels 12%

9              Created an attic conversion 10%

10           Added an extra bedroom 9%

However, the study also revealed that 41% of those carrying out renovations did so without telling their home insurer, potentially invalidating their policy.

Matt Sanders, home insurance spokesperson for GoCompare explained, “While you don’t need to inform your insurer about routine decorating or maintenance, you should inform your provider if you’re planning on carrying out any major building or renovation work, otherwise you could risk invalidating your policy.

When planning a major renovation project, one of the first things you should do is to review your buildings and contents insurance to make sure that you have adequate cover both during and after the work has been completed.

Another important thing to note is that most home insurance policies don’t cover tradesmen or their work, so you should always check that they have their own insurance in place.  It’s also sensible to check that any tradesmen you employ are qualified to carry out the work and registered with a recognised governing body.

Remember, after completion of the work, you may need to increase your sum insured to reflect any increase in the rebuilding costs of your property and any increase in the value of your possessions.”


Back to News Articles